Toyota 1VD-FTV to 100-series LandCruiser Engine Conversion - Page 2
FacebookTwitterYouTubeebay logo


Getting Started

Before removing the engines

Before removing the 70's engine, I repaired the crash damage and started the engine in the wreck. This was important to establish that the engine was running OK, and it eliminated the engine itself if I couldn't get it started after putting it into the 100.

Removing the engines

Being a straight-6, the 100 series engine is easy to remove. I removed the transfer case and lifted out the engine and gearbox together (basically as described in the 70 series section below), however they can also be removed separately.

Lifting out the 70's engine is more of a challenge. I decided to lift the engine and gearbox out as one unit, since I needed to use both and there was no reason to split them. Preparation:

  • Remove front and rear driveshafts
  • Remove the gearbox supporting crossmember (support the gearbox)
  • Unbolt the transfer case from the gearbox, and remove it
  • Unplug the engine wiring from the main loom at it's various attachment points. For ease of reassembly, I labelled every plug before I disassembled it. Note that there is an earth strap hidden on the top right side of the bellhousing.
  • Remove radiator, batteries, all hoses/lines etc.

The Toyota method for lifting the 1VD-FTV is to disassemble the entire fuel and air inlet system, buy and attach lifting rings to the inside of the 'V', and lift from there. This is a major undertaking, and I figured there had to be an easier way. Instead, I fabricated an I-shaped lifting bracket and lifted the engine and gearbox combination from three points, being the two engine mounts plus a sling wrapped around the bell housing. The front of the 'I' was sufficient to protect the intercooler and rocker covers from damage from the lifting chains. The depth of the 'I' was designed to protect the back of the intercooler and the wiring in that location from damage caused by the sling carrying the weight of the gearbox.

Lifting out the engine alone using this method would not be advisable, as lifting from the mounts without the stability provided by the sling around the bellhousing would put the centre of gravity very high, making the engine very unstable, and likely to flip upside down during the lift.

Photos (Click to enlarge):

70 series wreck
1VD-FTV wreck
1VD-FTV
70-series donor wreck
Repaired engine in wreck
1VD-FTV and gearbox hung on bracket

Installing 1VD-FTV into Land Cruiser
Installing 1VD-FTV into Land Cruiser
Installing 1VD-FTV into Land Cruiser
1VD-FTV ready to install
1VD-FTV being installed
1VD-FTV lowered into bay

Specifications

Here's a list of basic specifications and measurements of the engines and gearboxes of the two vehicles:

1VD-FTV (VDJ-79R) 1Hz (HZJ-105R)
Diff Ratios 3.909:1 4.300:1
1st gear ratio 4.529:1 4.313:1
2nd gear ratio 2.464:1 2.330:1
3rd gear ratio 1.490:1 1.436:1
4th gear ratio 1.000:1 1.000:1
5th gear ratio 0.881:1 0.838:1
R gear ratio 4.313:1 4.220:1
High transfer case ratio 1.000:1 1.000:1
Low transfer case ratio 2.488:1 2.488:1
Overall 1st gear/Low-Range ratio 44.04:1 46.14:1
Overall 5th gear/High-Range ratio 3.44:1 3.60:1
Power [email protected] [email protected]
Torque [email protected] [email protected]

Electricals

Next, I removed basically the entire front-half of the wiring loom from the 70 series, and installed it into the 100 series alongside the existing loom. I could have stripped the loom down, but decided it would be faster and simpler to just install the entire loom and only connect the required terminals. Basically, this means I could ignore the lighting (Except the interior light), A/C and fan and other bits and pieces.


Next Page....